20 Energy Efficient Practices to Try at Home
October has been designated Energy Awareness Month by the Federal Energy Management Program of the US Department of Energy, and this year’s theme is “Leading by Example.” The goal is that federal agencies will lead by example with energy efficient practices to help curb the current climate crisis.
Leading by example, of course, doesn’t have to just start and stop with federal agencies. Implementing energy saving practices in your own home will help to save you money, have a positive impact on our earth, and will hopefully inspire those around you to do the same. Where to start?
20 Energy Efficient Practices to Implement at Home.
It’s not that hard to begin saving a little energy in your own house. We’ve rounded up twenty ideas that you can try. Some are very simple and can be done right now, while others involve a greater investment of time and money. You just choose whatever works for you in this moment.
1. Install a programmable or smart thermostat.
2. Invest in a high efficiency appliances such as furnaces and air conditioners.
3. Unplug electronic devices when not in use.
4. Make the switch to LED lights.
5. Turn off lights when leaving a room.
6. Routinely clean or change the HVAC filter.
7. Promptly fix all leaky faucets.
8. Shorten shower times.
9. Use the dishwasher instead of handwashing dishes.
10. Keep doors and windows closed while furnace or air conditioners are running.
12. Use humidifiers or dehumidifiers to help with the heating and cooling of your home.
13. Schedule an annual maintenance inspection for HVAC equipment.
14. Lower the temperature of the hot water heater.
15. Invest in a tankless hot water heater.
16. Create DIY draft stoppers.
17. Add insulation to your home.
18. Plant trees to strategically help cool your home during the summer months.
19. Install low flow shower heads and toilets.
20. Turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth.
Do you have any ideas to add to this list? If so, please leave them in the comments! For more information about saving energy in your home, contact us at FLAME Heating, Cooling, Plumbing, and Electrical.
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field