How to Clean a Smelly Kitchen Sink
The kitchen is a place in your home where you would like scent to waft from. Think of the smell of chocolate chip cookies coming from the oven, or when you walk in after work to smell dinner in the slow cooker. The problem is, sometimes there can be bad smells in the kitchen, and they don’t just come from the garbage. They can come from your kitchen sink.
The last thing you want is kitchen sink stink overpowering the smell of freshly baked cookies in your home. The good news is, cleaning up that smelly kitchen sink isn’t too hard. Here are 3 easy ways how:
1. Boiling Water This is pretty simple, especially since you may already be boiling water for tea or coffee every day. Once the water is boiled, pour it down the sink drain. The Kitchn points out, “This may be enough to take care of milder drain smells.”
Still have a smelly kitchen sink? If boiling water doesn’t do the trick, try putting some baking soda down the drain and then pouring boiler water over it. Smell still lingering? Try baking soda and vinegar. According to Bob Vila, “Always keep the ratio one-part baking soda to two parts vinegar.” Then, rinse it all out with boiling water. Using combinations of baking soda, boiling water, and vinegar can all be used on sinks with or without garbage disposals.
2. Salt and Ice This trick will only work if you have a garbage disposal. Put ice and coarse salt down the disposal and then turn it on. The ice cubes will knock off any food particles from the blades while the salt will clean.
3. Citrus peels What smells more fresh and clean than lemons or oranges? Why do we think so many of the cleaning products we can buy tend to smell like that? Put a few citrus peels down your garbage disposal and turn it on. The wonderful clean scent of lemon or orange will float around your kitchen.
The best part of all of these methods is that you probably don’t even have to buy anything. All of these use materials you most likely already have in your kitchen. If, after all of these tricks, the smell is still lingering, check with a plumber to make sure everything is operating correctly with your kitchen plumbing. And, don’t forget to take care of your sink and garbage disposal- you never want to put these items down it.
For more information about residential plumbing services, contact FLAME!
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field