Detroit is One of Top Worst Cities for Spring Allergies
How can you tell it’s spring in metro Detroit? By the Tigers games, boats out on the lakes, and sound of lawn mowers? Yes. But, you can also tell by the red puffiness around people’s eyes, the empty allergy medicine shelves at the drug stores, and the amount of sneezing you hear.
It is allergy season, and this year Detroit ranks as the #34 worst city to live in for spring allergies out of the 100 largest cities in the United States.
This ranking was given by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America in their 2018 Spring Allergy Capitals Report, and its based on pollen score, the number of allergists, and prescription allergy medication use.
Those of use who have spent the last few weeks with runny noses and watery eyes probably aren’t surprised to hear about Detroit’s ranking. Allergies can’t be cured, but the AAFA offers recommendations for managing seasonal allergy symptoms which include:
- “Limit your outdoor activities
- Keep your windows closed
- Use central air conditioning with air filtration
- Use a CERTIFIED asthma & allergy friendly® air cleaner (portable or whole house/HVAC)
- Take a shower and shampoo your hair before going to bed to remove pollen from your hair and skin
- Change and wash clothes worn during outdoor activities
- Dry your laundry in a clothes dryer, not on an outdoor line”
When you suffer from allergies you know how important it is to have an HVAC system that is efficient and up to date. Since it circulates the air you breathe around your home, you want that air to be as clean as possible. Also, during the warm months, you will want to keep windows closed and use the a/c to keep cool instead of letting in the pollen filled air. An efficient system will cost less money to run.
Spring allergies can be the worst, but by following the AAFA’s recommendations, you can still enjoy this beautiful time of year in Detroit!
For more information about making sure your residential heating and cooling system is in the best possible shape, contact FLAME!
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field