How to Use Tree Shade to Cool your Home
We’ve all seen the cartoons where the characters are dragging themselves through a hot desert. Sweat is dripping off their bodies while their arms drag behind them as the sun relentlessly beats down. Until…they spot an oasis–cool and refreshing with plenty of tree shade.
We don’t have any deserts in southeastern Michigan, but walking on the sidewalk or through a parking lot on a HOT summer day can sure feel like one. Any tree shade along a walk becomes a welcome oasis.
Just as trees can give you shade and a little break from the heat while outside, they can also do the same for your home. Did you know…
- The shade from a tree can be equal to 15 air conditioners when it comes to cooling your home
- You can save up to 10% on your air conditioning bill by shading the roof of your house
How can you utilize the power of tree shade to cool down your home? When choosing to add trees to your landscaping keep in mind:
- Plant trees to the south and the west of your home
- Make sure those trees are deciduous (meaning they will lose their leaves in the winter) so the sun can warm up your house in the colder months
- How close should the trees be to your home? You want the shade from the tree to cover your home, but the trees should still be far enough away that there won’t be any foundation issues due to roots.
Other landscaping tips to help cool your home:
- Choose dark patio tiles that will absorb heat instead of reflecting it back to your home
- If you don’t have the patience to wait for a tree to grown, try shading the side of your home with a fast growing vine on a trellis.
Interested in learning about what trees you can plant in your Michigan yard to help keep your home cool? Check out this article: Fast-Growing Shade Trees.
(Southeastern Michigan is considered to be in Zone 6 by the United States Department of Agriculture)
For more information about staying cool this summer, contact FLAME Heating, Cooling, Plumbing, and Electrical!
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field