How to Save Money with a Generator
We all know that you must spend money to make money. Sometimes, that saying can be changed to: you have to spend money to save money. Many of us do that all the time. For example, we buy memberships to stores like Costco that offer discounted items. Investing in a generator is another way to save money.
A power outage can be inconvenient, unsafe, and expensive. An automatic standby generator means you do not have to deal with the inconveniences of losing power. With hot temperatures and thunderstorms on the horizon in metro Detroit, we gathered up some approximate information about how much money can be lost during a power outage:
- Food (estimated loss: $500-$800). This number depends on how well-stocked your refrigerator or freezer is. But, on a 90-degree day, the food will spoil fairly quickly, no matter how hard you try to keep the fridge closed and the cool air in.
- Computer (estimated loss: around $1,000). Many of us have our documents and photos backed up onto a hard drive or in the ‘Cloud,’ so losing those isn’t as much of a threat as it once was. However, any unsaved data can easily be lost depending on when the outage happens. Plus, power surges can occur when the power comes back on, which can fry your computer.
- Flooding (estimated loss: $500- $3,000 and memories) Sump pumps rely on power to run. If the power outage happens because of a big storm, you could be in trouble if you do not have a backup. A basement flood can ruin appliances, pictures, furniture, and electronics, which can be very expensive to clean up.
- Misc., such as batteries and candles (estimated loss: $30). Without power, you will be using lots of flashlights and candles!
Total Loss: $4,830
This number can vary depending on your home, the extent of any damage, and how long the power outage lasts. But we can all agree that not losing power is a way to save this money. An automatic generator will turn on as soon it senses a power outage, which is almost immediate.
When temperatures are in the 90s, staying safe is even more important than saving money. Older adults and young children are more likely to be impacted by heat-related illnesses (CDC). An automatic generator ensures that your home will remain cool and help your family avoid heat-related illness.
Contact FLAME for more information about our Generators and Generator Services!
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field