What’s the Difference Between Central Air and a Window Unit?
Deciding whether or not to install air conditioning in your home is a big decision. There are so many elements that go into it. Here is a quick look at one of the first questions you should ask yourself: do I want central air conditioning, or a window unit? Both types have their pros and cons that you can read about below.
Central Air Conditioning:
Central Air Conditioning systems can cool a whole home and, if you already have a forced air furnace, these can usually be hooked up to the existing duct system. They are controlled by a thermostat.
Cons- There is only one major con with Central Air Conditioning and that is that it is typically more expensive than window units.
- It can cool many spaces in the home, and it can also be a dehumidifier.
- Though window units are normally less expensive, correctly using a programmable thermostat can allow you to save more on your electrical bills than you would with a window unit.
- Central Air Conditioning does not block off window space or take away from the natural light in your home. It is also not an“eye sore” in your window.
As their name suggests, window units are air conditioning devices installed right in your window that can only cool 1-2 rooms in a home. They are generally temporary and often removed from the window each fall.
- Unlike Central Air Conditioning, these units cannot cool large areas. If you have a larger home, this could be an issue.
- They can be labor intensive as they often have to be installed and taken out multiple times throughout the year.
- Not as large of an investment as Central Air Conditioning.
- Ideal for smaller homes or apartments
- Not as permanent of a decision as Central Air Conditioning
FLAME does not offer window units, however, if you are interested in learning more about the pros and cons of the different types of cooling, please feel free to contact FLAME!
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field