FLAME Blog

Cleveland Clinic’s Mold Prevention Advice

Cleaning products for better indoor air qualityWith rainy days and humid air beginning to fill our days sometimes it feels like the dampness will never go away.  Moisture is a main cause of mold growth, so it makes sense that all of this wet weather is making mold pop up in our minds.   As we know, not only is mold gross, but it can have some pretty serious health impacts.

The world renowned academic medical center, Cleveland Clinic, has offered some advice on mold in your home.

In an article entitled, “Mold:  What You Need to Know to Cut the Risk,” the Cleveland Clinic explains that because of mold, breathing problems can occur in anyone.  Therefore they suggest the following tips:

  • “Use an air conditioner or dehumidifier to keep humidity levels below 50 percent at all times, and check the humidity level at least once a day because humidity changes with temperature shifts.
  • Be sure your home is adequately ventilated. If you have exhaust fans, use them.
  • Use paints fortified with mold inhibitors.
  • Use mold-killing bathroom cleaning products, such as bleach.
  • Don’t carpet bedrooms or bathrooms.
  • Remove or replace carpets and upholstery that have gotten soaked through.”

As you can see, the main thing is reducing the moisture in your home.  One of these easiest ways to do that is by using your air conditioner and installing a dehumidifier.  Also, whenever water is spilled onto floors–especially in a steamy, damp bathroom, make sure to wipe it up right away!

Keeping the humidity down in your home throughout the summer will also help your home feel much cooler, in addition to preventing mold growth.

At Flame, we are working to keep you and your family comfortable and healthy in your home.  Contact Flame Heating, Cooling, and Electrical for more information about your cooling system or dehumidifiers.

Contact Us

< Return To Blog

Copyright 2021 Flame Furnace

Built and Operated by

Rebuild Group