Mold. According to Dictionary.com the definition of mold is: a growth of minute fungi forming on vegetable or animal matter, commonly as a downy or furrycoating, and associated with decay or dampness. Mold is gross, whether it is on that cucumber in the back of the fridge you forgot about or it is in your bathroom. Not only is it gross, but mold can also bring with it some negative health side effects. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints.” Therefore, when mold exists it is best to get it out of there.
In your home, the major cause of mold is moisture. Hence, the drier your home, the less likely there is for mold. Yet, too dry of a home leads to itchy skin and cracked hands which we also do not want. Balance is key. One way to know if there is too much moisture in your home is by checking the windows. Is there a lot of moisture on them? The colder temperatures of the windows cause the moisture to condense into water droplets. This could be due to having a humidifier set too high or to hot showers. The EPA offers some ways to reduce the moisture in your home, including:
This is a simple summary and comments of a few ideas from the EPA. For more information, please visit their Mold Resources website (where I received all of the above information) or contact Flame for information about plumbing and indoor air quality.