How Do I Change a Light Switch to a Dimmer Switch?
Changing a light switch to a dimmer switch can be quite easy. Most of the time all you need is a screwdriver.
- First make sure you turn off the power to the switch at circuit or the fuse panel
- See if it is a single pole or three way switch
- For large light fixtures, check the wattage of the fixture
- Remove the switch plate
- Unscrew the switch from the electrical box and pull it from the box
- Remove the wires from the switch
- Attach the black wires that should be coming out of the dimmer switch to the colored wires that were attached to the old switch using wire nuts. Also knows as connectors
- Screw the dimmer switch to the electrical box
- Screw in the new switch plate