Carbon monoxide (CO) can pose a very serious threat to you and anyone who lives in your home. Taking the proper measures to monitor and detect the presence of this potentially deadly gas is very important for any homeowner. Unfortunately, it is not always very obvious that carbon monoxide is present due to the fact that it is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. There are ways, however, to detect it ahead of time before it is too late.
How to detect carbon monoxide:
Purchase a carbon monoxide detector. This relatively inexpensive device will detect the presence of the gas and beep loudly to alert you.
If you already own a carbon monoxide detector, make sure you know the lifespan of its sensor so you can replace it before it stops functioning.
Place the carbon monoxide detector close to the ceiling since the gas will rise above the rest of the air.
Don’t place your detector in the kitchen or near a fireplace because these areas may experience short-term spikes of CO that aren’t harmful, but will set off your detector when it shouldn’t go off.
If you or anyone in your home experiences headaches, dizziness, nausea, blurred vision, and shortness of breath simultaneously this could be a sign that they being affected by carbon monoxide poisoning. If this happens call a doctor right away.
A buildup of condensation on windows and other surfaces could also be a sign of CO. However, this can be caused by many other factors as well so don’t worry too much if this is the only sign you see.
If the pilot lights in your furnace go out frequently or are glowing yellow, this could also indicate the presence of carbon monoxide.
If you follow these steps to know when carbon monoxide is present, you will be much safer for it. If you are in need of a carbon monoxide detector, the Bryant carbon monoxide alarm is a reliable detector that plugs into any standard outlet and can even protect you during a power outage thanks to a backup battery. If you have more questions about carbon monoxide detection, call Flame Heating and Cooling at 586-582-1700.