FLAME Blog

Heating Tips for Avoiding Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a very dangerous colorless and odorless gas.  When you are exposed to CO you can have headaches, feel dizzy or sick, and too long of exposure can result in death.  Carbon monoxide is most dangerous for infants and elderly.

A major cause of carbon monoxide exposure is improperly heating your home.  Here are a few tips for heating your home safely and avoiding carbon monoxide:

  • Have your furnace, water heater, and any other gas appliances checked annually by a certified technician.  Technicians will look for problems that can pose CO threats such as cracked heat exchangers in the furnace.
  • Do not use a gas oven or stove for heating purposes
  • Do not use a generator inside of your home, and make sure that it is 20 feet away from any vent, door, or window.
  • Chimneys can become blocked up and lead to a build up of CO, so have it cleaned out or checked annually.

(Source: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning)

Because you can’t see, smell, taste, or hear carbon monoxide, one of the most important things you can do for your family is to have a carbon monoxide alarm.  For more information about keeping your family safe from CO, contact Flame!  Also, much of this information came from this page from the CDC, “Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.”

 

 

Contact Us

< Return To Blog

Copyright 2021 Flame Furnace

Built and Operated by

Rebuild Group