5 Unique Ways to Save Water in Your Home
Saving water is good for the environment, and it is good for our wallets. A cheaper water bill would make most people happy. We have heard some of the typical ways to save water: take shorter showers and turn off the sink while brushing your teeth, but we figured there must be some more creative ways out there. So, after some research, here are unique ways to save water in your home:
- Water your plants with leftover drinking water (7 Weird Ways to Save Water, National Geographic Blogs). Do you have the problem in your home where, at the end of the day, there are half empty cups and bottles filled with water strewed all over the house? Instead of dumping that water down the sink, use it to water your plants.
- Use Pandora to time your showers (7 Weird Ways to Save Water, National Geographic Blogs). Make taking shorter showers a little more fun by timing them with music you like.
- Collect bath water in your cooking pots (9 Creative Ways to Save on Water, Don’t Waste the Crumbs) “Before you think I’ve gone crazy carrying pots all over my house, hear me out. Think about how often you cook on the stove with water… pretty often, right? And you typically fill up your pots with water from the sink, right?So what if you filled up your pots with water from the bathtub instead? I mean, you’re going to take a shower, right? And that water needs to go somewhere, right? So why not just skip a step and fill up a pot from the get go?”
- Turn off the hot water to the bathroom sinks (9 Creative Ways to Save on Water, Don’t Waste the Crumbs). You will take much less time and use much less water washing your face with cold water!
- Don’t use running water to thaw food. (100+ Ways to Conserve Water, Water Use It Wisely) “For water efficiency and food safety, defrost food in the refrigerator.”
One of the most important things you can do is keep up with your plumbing maintenance. When leaks happen, get them fixed immediately. Also, depending on the age of your plumbing, there may be more energy efficiency versions out there, such as low flow shower heads. For more information about saving water or our residential plumbing services, contact Flame! Happy saving!