How to Make Your Air Conditioner Last Longer
Air conditioners are likely one of the most expensive things we have in our homes, and yet many of us act negligent of this fact. If you own something worth $3,000 – $7,000, surely you would plan to take great care of it so it will last you for as long as possible. Well, that’s exactly what your home air conditioner is. Most homeowners have reported spending between $3,702 – $7,132 to replace an air conditioning unit. Air conditioners usually have a lifespan of about 10-15 years, but if you treat yours with care you could extend the lifespan even beyond that.
Here are some tips for how to make your air conditioner last longer:
1. Clean the outside – Remove any debris, like sticks or branches. Then, after turning off the unit’s power, rinse the outside with a gentle spray from the garden hose.
2. Clear the area around the AC unit – If there are big bushes or other things too close to the air conditioner it could smother and restrict the airflow making the unit work harder than it has to.
3. Change your air filters – If you allow your air filters to go too long without being changed, eventually dust and grime will build up. Once again, this will make your air conditioner work much harder than it has to move cool air through your home.
4. Watch your dog closely – If you own a dog make sure that when they go outside to do their business they aren’t doing it on your air conditioner. Dog urine can corrode the refrigerant coils which could cause them to malfunction and even leak (no pun intended).
5. Don’t block off air vents – Air vents in your home should remain visible at all times. Do not block them off with furniture, curtains, or anything else that could block airflow.
6. Receive regular maintenance – It is important to receive regular maintenance from a heating and cooling professional. It can be very beneficial because they could potentially spot issues that you are unaware of and fix them before they end up costing you more money.
If you suspect there is an issue with your air conditioner, or it has been a long time since you last had it inspected, call FLAME Heating and Cooling at (888) 234-2340 and we will send one of our experts to assist you as soon as possible.
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field