How to Clean Your Furnace Filter
When it comes to furnace filters, there are two types: permanent and disposable. If you have a disposable furnace filter, then it can simply be discarded and replaced with a new filter. However, If you have a permanent furnace filter, it is very important that you clean it regularly to keep up the efficiency of your furnace and quality of the air it circulates. A dirty furnace filter can do harm to your furnace and your health, but, by simply cleaning it, you can avoid these problems and even cut your heating bill by up to 15%.
How to tell if you have a permanent or disposable furnace filter
You should be able to tell whether your furnace filter is permanent or disposable simply by looking at it. If your filter has a cardboard frame then it is disposable and can simply be thrown out and replaced with a new filter of the same type. If your filter has a more sturdy frame made of metal or fiberglass, then it is permanent filter and you must clean it regularly. Regardless of which type of furnace filter you have, you should check it at least every three months to see if it needs to be cleaned or replaced.
How to clean your furnace filter:
- First, make sure that you turn off your furnace.
- Find the service panel that opens up on the side of your furnace. You may need to use a screwdriver to open it depending on the furnace model you have.
- Locate your furnace filter near the intake/outtake blower and gently remove it.
- Examine the filter. If it looks dusty and you can’t clearly see through it, then it needs to be cleaned.
- To clean your filter, rinse it with water in your laundry tub, or else take it to your driveway and rinse it with your hose.
- Set the filter out to dry.
- Once the filter has dried completely, replace it, close the service panel, and turn your furnace back on.
If you need any assistance with cleaning your furnace filter call FLAME Heating and Cooling at (888) 234-2340. We can also recommend furnace filters to you if you are unsure which type is best for you.
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field