Christmas Tree Safety Tips & Suggestions
A week after Thanksgiving I think we have finally finished digesting our turkey, stuffing and sweet potatoes. Now that we have begun moving again, it’s time to start thinking about putting up the Christmas tree and decorating our home. I love the Christmas season but I also know that the financial burden of gifts and the time put into decorations can be incredibly stressful. Unfortunately, according the National Safety Council there are over 250 home fires started by real and fake Christmas trees every year. These have caused about $13.8 million in property damage. The last thing you need during the holiday season is the destruction and the expense of a fire.
The National Safety Council has published information about Christmas Tree Safety and preventing fires from happening. Below you will find some of their advice:
- Look for a fresh tree, you can tell this because it will be green. Also, the trunk should be sticky from sap.
- When it comes into your home, 2 inches should be cut off from the trunk and it should constantly be standing in water so it does not dry out as fast.
- Keep the tree away from heat sources such as radiators and doorways (this should also be done with fake trees as well).
Fake or Imitation Trees
- Make sure that it has been tested and that it is fire resistant. Look for the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) label.
Tree Lights and Ornaments
- When inside, use indoor lights and when outside, use outdoor lights. Look for the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) label.
- Check to make sure that on your light strand there are no bare or frayed wires as well as broken or cracked sockets. Replace or repair broken lights.
- When you leave the house or go to bed, turn off the lights.
- Do not run extension cords under rugs and make sure that only 3 strands of lights are used per extension cord.
- Do not use lighted candles on the tree.
For more information, please check out the National Safety Council’s Christmas Tree Tips. Contact FLAME for questions about electrical or heat sources.
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field