Don’t Forget About Your Plumbing During a Power Outage
Not many people would expect a power outage in April to come as the result of an ice storm, but here in Michigan we are experiencing just that. This past weekend over a quarter of a million homes lost power due to the ice storm that came through Saturday night and Sunday morning. Unfortunately, with the weather staying chilly, this power outage has become uncomfortable for many. While staying warm might be the primary concern, you don’t want to forget about your plumbing during this time.
What should you do about your plumbing during a power outage?
Water and electricity shouldn’t mix, but when the power goes out, you may be surprised at the effects it could have on your plumbing system. Frozen pipes, flooded basements, and even some tankless hot water heaters and toilets use some electricity to function.
The plumbing experts at FLAME recommend you do the following during a power outage to take care of your plumbing:
- In order to prevent frozen pipes, keep water running by turning on the bathroom, kitchen, and laundry tub faucets to a trickle. Though this is not necessarily important during the warm summer months, it’s definitely something you want to do while the weather is cold.
- If the power is predicted to be out for a few days or more, turn off the valve to your home’s main water line
- Install a backup water-powered pump to a sump pump. If your basement is prone to flooding, installing a backup water powered pump to your sump pump is something that you can have a plumber do ahead of time. This will be especially useful if the cause of the power outage is a major storm.
- Call a professional plumber, such as the licensed FLAME plumbers to check your pipes once power comes back on. You want to make sure that the water is safe and that everything is still in good working condition.
For information about staying safe and comfortable during a power outage, contact FLAME!
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field