When it comes to letting outside air in “A knowledgeable homeowner or skilled contractor can save up to 20% on heating and cooling costs (or up to 10% on their total annual energy bill) by sealing and insulating” according to EnergyStar. Sealing and insulating are great decisions when it comes to your home, but there is another way to keep that cold winter air out. You can make your own draft stopper.
These homemade crafts are placed at the feet of the doors or windows in your home to cover up the cracks and keep cold air out. Here is how you make one:
Sturdy, tightly woven fabric (8” x 41-45”)
Sewing machine and thread
Filler- sand, rice, dry corn, aquarium gravel, kitty litter (You can mix in aromatic elements such as potpourri or evergreen tips)
- Measure the length of your door frame. Most will be around 41” or 45.”
- Cut your fabric into a rectangle of the right width (8”) and length.
- Fold the fabric in half lengthwise to form a 4” wide tube with the wrong sides of the fabric facing out.
- Sew the length and one end together with a ½” seam allowance. Sew the length and one end again with a ¼” seam allowance. This keeps any filler from escaping.
- Turn your tube inside out, using the yardstick to help push it out.
- Using the funnel, fill the tube with the filler, leaving 1 inch at the top.
- Turn in ½” of the top edge and sew closed. Repeat with another seam ¼” away from the first.
(Taken from: “How to Make a Door Draft Stopper” Favecrafts)
The craft gives you the perfect opportunity to spend time with your children and teach them about conserving energy. For more information about insulation, sealing, or other types of home energy efficiency, please contact FLAME!
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field