DTE 'DIY' Tips on "Maintaining Heating System"
Some may say that DIY (do-it-yourself) is a certain species of human. I tend to think of it more as a club. With people hurting from the economy, more and people are joining the DIY club. I think DIY is a great idea, and so I found this list from DTE Energy that explains some ways to keep your heating equipment running smoothly and efficiently by yourself:
Maintaining your heating system
A well-maintained heating system will run more efficiently and help to reduce your energy use. To keep your heating system in proper working condition, consider having your furnace inspected annually, ideally before the heating season begins. Call a local contractor to schedule an inspection in late summer or early fall.
If you have a forced air heating system, here are some tasks you may be able to perform yourself.
- Follow manufacturers’ guidelines. For peak energy performance, always operate and maintain your heating system according to manufacturers’ guidelines.
- Clean or replace the air filter regularly. Filters reduce the amount of dust and dirt that flow through your ductwork and into your home.
- Check your furnace for dust and lint. Remove the dust and lint from the burner compartment at least once a year.
- Check the chimney for obstructions. Make sure your chimney is not blocked by debris such as bird nests, leaves, loose mortar or dirt.
- Inspect flue pipes. Also inspect the flue pipes from the heating system and water heater to make sure they are free of rust and are tightly sealed.
- Check your ductwork. Check for air leaks, especially at joints. Seal off air leaks with foil faced tape rather than duct tape.
Whether or not you do these tasks yourself, they are still a good idea to complete. Feel free to contact FLAME if you have any questions about them.
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field