8 Energy Saving Tips for Renters
Whether you rent or own your home, we can all benefit from energy savings. Oftentimes, many of the strategies for reducing energy costs involve major investments such as new heating and cooling units, or things the renter cannot control such as adding extra insulation. However, renters are still usually responsible for utility bills, which means that they can use some energy saving suggestions, too. Here are eight tips from the US Department of Energy that can help renters lower their energy costs.
- Make the switch to energy efficient lighting. Replace your bulbs with CFL or LED Energy Star lightbulbs in order to save money.
- Use window treatments to control heat. Certain curtains and blinds can prevent heat loss in the winter and keep your home cooler in the summer.
- Air dry clothes when possible instead of using the dryer.
- Wash your clothing in cold water.
- When washing dishes, scrape off extra food instead of rinsing it off.
- If you are responsible for buying your own appliances, always look for appliances with an Energy Star label.
- Beware of ‘vampire loads’ from electronics. This happens when electricity is still being used even when the electronic is turned off. Advanced power strips can be used to help with this.
- If your rental home is equipped with a programmable thermostat, use it! If not, take the time to manually change the thermostat. “You can save as much as 10% a year on heating and cooling by simply turning your thermostat back 7°-10°F for 8 hours a day from its normal setting” (Energy.gov).
For more information about saving energy, contact FLAME!
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field