Extension Cord Safety During the Holidays
The Christmas season is filled with traditions from baking cookies to reading stories to decorating the inside and outside of our homes. Some of us may dread pulling out the bin of Christmas lights each year, while others may relish the thought of creating magical displays in our homes. Lights are a big part of Christmas decorations, and often so are extension cords. It is important to make sure that when adding extra light to your home you are doing so in a way that will keep your family safe from electrical hazards, especially those related to an extension cord.
Extension cords can be an easy fix when hanging up outdoor decorations or when you want your tree in one corner but the lights won’t reach the electrical outlet. However, before reaching for that extension cord remember that according to ESFI (Electrical Safety Foundation International), “Roughly 3,300 home fires originate in extension cords each year, killing 50 people and injuring 270 more.”
Because of the dangers that can come from extension cords it is important to use them properly. ESFI recommends some of the following guidelines:
- Don’t plug extension cords into each other
- Make sure you have the right extension cord for what you need it for. Use only extension cords rated for outdoor use outside and indoor use inside.
- Check for any frays or other damage, such as the loose wires, on the cord before using it
- Only use extension cords that have been tested by an independent laboratory
- Don’t overload the extension cord or use it in place of proper wiring
It is important to use extension cords correctly, but if you are worried about risking it, or if you can’t use one properly, you can still achieve the perfect “Merry and Bright” look in your home.
Solution: Extra Outlets
Adding extra electrical outlets to the inside and outside of your home is an easy way to decorate at Christmas and keep your family safe. These outlets can be helpful throughout the rest of the year when it comes to things like vacuuming or rearranging furniture. Make sure to have a licensed electrician help you with this job.
For more information about our residential electrical services or electrical safety, please contact FLAME! Stay safe this holiday season.
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field