Fight Back Against Pollen: Avoid Spring Allergies
For most of my life I had the good luck to not be affected by seasonal allergies. I would hear my friends sniffling and complaining, but I never truly understood their misery. Well this year, life got back at me. I haven’t had the typical symptoms of stuffiness and red eyes but I have had terrible, terrible headaches…especially on days when the pollen count is particularly high. This had led me to do some research into seasonal allergies.
According to WebMD, “The biggest spring allergy trigger is pollen — tiny grains released into the air by trees, grasses, and weeds for the purpose of fertilizing other plants. When pollen grains get into the nose of someone who’s allergic, they send the immune system into overdrive.” Therefore, it is best to try to avoid pollen if you are affected by seasonal allergies. Here are some ways to do this:
- Cool the Right Way: Even if it is less expensive, cooling down the home with open windows and fans is a sure fire way to start your day off by blowing into a Kleenex. Use air conditioning instead and keep those windows closed.
- Use an air purifier: If possible, use a high efficiency filter in your air conditioner or furnace and make sure to clean or change it regularly.
- Clean, clean, clean: Clean off vents, bookshelves and anything else that could collect dust or pollen. Also, vacuum at least twice a week.
- Choose wisely when to go outside: Pollen counts are highest in the early morning and on dry, windy days. It is best to get outside in the afternoon, especially after it has just rained.
These tips were compiled from WebMd’s “Spring Allergies” and MayoClinic’s “Seasonal allergies: Nip them in the bud.” If you are interested in learning more about indoor air quality and keeping the air in your home clean and allergen free, please check out this blog or this one! Also contact FLAME for information about air purifiers or air conditioning inspections. Achoo
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field