Heating Tips for Avoiding Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a hazardous colorless and odorless gas. Exposure to CO can have headaches and feel dizzy or sick, and too long of exposure can result in death. Carbon monoxide is most dangerous for infants and the elderly.
A major cause of carbon monoxide exposure is improperly heating your home. Here are a few tips for heating your home safely and avoiding carbon monoxide:
- Have your furnace, water heater, and any other gas appliances checked annually by a certified technician. Technicians will look for problems that can pose CO threats, such as cracked heat exchangers in the furnace.
- Do not use a gas oven or stove for heating purposes
- Do not use a generator inside your home; make sure that it is 20 feet away from any vent, door, or window.
- Chimneys can become blocked up and lead to a buildup of CO, so have them cleaned out or checked annually.
(Source: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning)
Because you can’t see, smell, taste, or hear carbon monoxide, one of the most important things you can do for your family is to have a carbon monoxide alarm. For more information about keeping your family safe from CO, contact FLAME! Also, much of this information came from this page from the CDC, “Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.”
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field