How to Keep Your Pets Safe in Hot Weather
School supplies may be out in stores and we may have already begun stocking our closets with fall fashions, but we have a few weeks left of summer’s high temps. Which means that we still need to be diligent about keeping our pets safe in warm temperatures.
The American Veterinary Medicine Association reminds us that, “If it’s hot outside for you, it’s even hotter for your pet.” They offer the following tips in regard to keeping your pets safe in hot temperatures:
- Make sure your pets have unlimited access to fresh water, and access to shade when outside.
- Leave your pets at home if possible when you need to go out and about.
- Provide different temperature zones within your house for your pet’s comfort.
- Never leave a pet in the car, even in the shade or with windows cracked. Cars can overheat quickly to deadly temperatures, even when the weather isn’t severe.
- Avoid hot surfaces, such as asphalt, that can burn your pet’s paws. (AVMA, Warm Weather Pet Safety)
Pets can become dehydrated very quickly so be on the lookout–as it can be fatal. Remember to always have clean water available to your pets and keep your home at a comfortable temperature for them. It may be tempting to turn off the air conditioner while you are away, but do not forget your four legged friends at home!
One of the easiest ways to check for dehydration in a dog or cat is to pinch the skin at the back of their neck. If it snaps back into place right away, they are well hydrated. If it doesn’t, they may be dehydrated.
Want some energy efficient ways to keep your home cool? Check out this post.
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field