Keeping Animals Warm and Safe, Tips from The Humane Society
One of our goals at FLAME is to make your home as comfortable as possible. Regarding residential heating, we aren’t just thinking about the humans in your home but also your four-legged family members. When the temperatures are cold, we want to ensure that you AND your dog or cat are warm and safe.
According to The Humane Society of the United States, “No matter what the temperature is, windchill can threaten a pet’s life. Pets are sensitive to severe cold and are at risk for frostbite and hypothermia during extreme cold snaps. Exposed skin on noses, ears and paw pads can quickly freeze and suffer permanent damage.”
The Humane Society offers tips for caring for your pet in cold weather.
- Keep pets indoors—this is the best thing to do when possible.
- Put a sweater on shorthaired dogs when they go outside
- Dogs kept outside should have a dry shelter that is draft free, and off of the ground
- Make sure your dog or cat is getting enough food and water if they are often outside because staying warm uses a lot of energy
- Be aware that antifreeze is poisonous, so wipe up any spills
- Wipe off your pet’s paws with a damp cloth if they have been walking on salt. Salt can irritate paws, and if your pet licks its paws, the salt can irritate the mouth as well.
(“Protect Your Pet During Winter and Cold Weather”)
Check out The Humane Society’s full article for more information about keeping your pets safe this winter.
Consider a radiant heated driveway or patio to help your pet in cold, snowy weather. This will melt the snow and limit the amount of salt you need to use if you want to learn about other residential heating services, contact FLAME!
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field