How to know if your furnace is broken
If your home has not been staying heated as well as it should be, there could be a problem with your furnace. There are a number of signs that you can check for to know if your furnace is broken. If your furnace is making strange noises or blowing cold air and your heating bill has increased, then there’s a good chance that your furnace may be broken.
Furnaces can last about 15-20 years, but inevitably they are going to stop working. If your furnace isn’t working well, check the serial number on the label to see how old it is. If it is in the 15-20 year old range there’s a good chance you may need a new furnace soon.
How to check if your furnace is broken:
- Make sure your furnace is turned on. Your thermostat should be set to heating mode.
- Look at the outside of the furnace to see if there are any obvious problems like a large buildup of dirt, burn marks, or cracked vent pipes.
- Try turning up the heat on your thermostat to see if the blower turns on to start moving the warm air.
- Check for dust and dirt near the thermostat. If dirt gets inside the thermostat, it could impact its calibration.
- Check your fuse box to make sure the switch for the furnace has not been tripped or turned off accidentally.
- Look into the front panel to see what color the pilot light is. If it is yellow this could be a sign that carbon monoxide is leaking and you should call a professional immediately.
- Turn off your furnace and check the filter. Clean the furnace filter if it is dirty and replace it.
If you follow the steps above and don’t find the source of your heating problem then your furnace is likely broken and you should call a professional. FLAME Heating and Cooling can come to your home for any furnace inspection or repair that you need. Just give us a call at (888) 234-2340.
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field