You may want your Brownies Moist, but not your Windows: Moisture on Windows
Are your windows leaking? Then you better go catch ’em! Actually you probably just want to dry them if there is moisture and also push them down so that they are firmly sealed to prevent leakage of air. Weather stripping can also be useful for this.
“It is difficult to completely eliminate moisture on existing windows. Inefficient windows (e.g., single pane with aluminum frames) or high moisture with inadequate ventilation can result in condensation, frost, or pools of water on windows and sills. Moisture in the air condenses when it touches a cold surface. (The same effect causes a glass of ice tea to “sweat” on a hot humid day.) Continued excess moisture can lead to mold, mildew, and deterioration of your windows and sills.”
To reduce humidity levels in your home:
1. Use ventilation fans in kitchens and baths to control moisture.
2. Your clothes dryer should be vented directly to the outside. Inspect the vent duct. Make sure it is attached securely to the dryer. Check that it is clear of obstructions (e.g. lint). Check for holes that leak air. If vent duct is damaged replace it with a metal duct. The vent duct should be cleaned at least once a year.
3. If you have single pane windows, especially with metal frames, install storm windows or consider replacing your existing windows with Energy Star labeled windows.
4. If you can’t afford to add storm windows or replace your windows now purchase and install a shrink film or polyethylene sheet, window insulation kit from a home center or hardware store. (This really works, an employee here at FLAME has noticed HUGE improvements in his energy bill)
5. If you have a humidifier, check it regularly for proper operation. It could be adding too much moisture to your indoor air.
Any Questions…Contact FLAME!
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field