It is fairly universally accepted that mold is not a welcome nor pleasant guest in our homes. Whether it is on that forgotten tomato in the back of the fridge, or if it is in the bathroom, it is best to get mold out of there. Mold is usually a growth that occurs due to dampness and other than being gross, it also has some negative health effects for some. For example, the CDC states,
“Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation. People with mold allergies may have more severe reactions. Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold.”
Having too much moisture in your home is a major cause of mold. How can you check if you have too much moisture? Check the windows. Cooler temperatures cause water to condense and turn into little droplets. If the windows are cooler than the rest of your home, you will see little droplets of water on them. This is a sure sign that your home has too much moisture.
Keep humidity levels low-make sure that your humidifier is not working overtime and adding too much moisture to the home. Using the air conditioner is another way to decrease humidity levels in the home. Along those lines, the EPA reminds us to keep air conditioner drip pans clean and make sure that lines running to the air conditioner are not blocked.
Use exhaust fans or ventilate in the kitchen, bathroom, and laundry areas-these exhaust fans get the excess heat, steam, and moisture that was created out of your home.
Fix all leaks right away! Whether it is a leaky sink or a leaky roof, you want to fix it right up. This will also increase your water energy savings.
Clean up floods, spills, and leaks immediately-Letting water sit around in your home will most likely be a cause of mold growth.
For more information about your home’s humidity levels and plumbing, contact Flame!