Stay Cool During the Holiday Weekend
4th of July is a time for watermelon and water balloons, fireworks and bonfires, as well as hot dogs and dog walks. No matter what your plans are this holiday weekend, whether you are going out of town or entertaining at your home, here are some simple ideas to stay cool and save money.
- Keep doors and windows closed. If you have your air conditioner running full blast (which it might be, since it is going to be in the 90’s in Southeastern, Michigan), you want to make sure to keep the cool air inside and the hot air outside. This may be difficult to accomplish if you have many friends and family over, so perhaps try to disuade people from going inside at all or put a sign on the doors, reminding people to close them.
- Jump in the Pool. If you have a pool in your backyard, or one that you can use, now is the time to make use of it! Stop worrying about your hair and start to appreciate the cannon ball splashes. Fresh water will feel great on a 90 degree day with sun beating down on you. Also, while you are drying off, the evaporating water will cool you down.
- Ice, ice, ice. This is obvious and self explanatory, but cooling down your drink with ice will help to make you feel cool while you drink it. Also popsicles and ice cream are always good, tasty, cold treats for anyone and everyone.
- Barbeque! Barbequing is a staple on 4th of July! This can help to keep your home cool, by keeping the warm cooking air OUTSIDE of the house. (Just hope that you aren’t the one standing there and flipping burgers)
- Go down below. If the heat outside becomes too unbearable, go hang out in the basement! That is most likely the coolest area of your house (besides the freezer) and you can hang out in cool air, without having to turn down the temperature on your thermostat too far.
If you are leaving your house for the weekend, make sure to turn the thermostat up–so your air conditioner is not wasting money and energy by cooling an empty house all weekend long. Good luck staying cool and have a great weekend!
Contact Flame for More Information!
image found at: http://folbot.wordpress.com/2009/07/page/2/