How to turn off a water heater
There are some signs to look for regarding water heaters that every homeowner should be aware of. When you notice these signs, the first thing you should do is turn off your water heater. If your water heater is making strange noises, overheating, or doing anything out of the ordinary, or if you smell gas anywhere in the house, these are all signs that you should turn it off. The longer you allow it, the more likely it is that the problem will get worse. The next step is to actually turn off the water heater.
How to turn off a water heater:
- If it is a gas water heater, go to your thermostat and switch the dial on top into the off position.
- If you have an electric water heater, switch off the corresponding circuit breaker
- Turn off your water by locating the water valve and turning it as far as you can clockwise.
- Locate the drain valve at the bottom of your water heater’s tank
- Attach a hose to the drain valve and run the other end of the hose to somewhere that hot water can safely be drained
- Open one of the hot water faucets in your home to let air into the tank so that the hot water can begin being drained
- Flip the handle of the relief valve so that it is sticking straight up.
Many homeowners may not want to drain the water heater themselves if they are not experienced in these types of home repairs. If this is the case for you, you should stop after turning off the gas or electricity to your water heater and then call a professional plumber from FLAME Heating and Cooling at (888) 234-2340. Chances are, if you notice anything awry with your water heater, you will need a professional there to fix it.
same day guarantee
Same Day Guarantee
Why Choose Flame Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical?
Expect Trustworthy Service & Excellent Craftsmanship
- 24/7 emergency service
- Same-day services
- Licensed & insured
- Free estimates on replacement quotes
- Upfront & fair pricing
- Background checked technicians
- Financing options
- Military, veteran & senior discounts
- Responsiveness & respect for the customer's time
- Expertise in our field